Tuesday, November 29, 2011

What happened that night?

I want to talk about drinking since it makes up a large portion of women's lives from ages 17-26 (I'd say). I feel every party I go to or college "get together" your bound to get seriously drunk. And I have been to all different types of campus set ups and they all are the same. But the way I see it drinking itself isn't the problem; it is who exactly are you drinking with. An article published in The Journal of Sex Education and Therapy reported that 68% of women who were raped, sexually assaulted, and illicitly restrained at a party were done so by drunk male assailants. I understand from personal experience that when you are at a party you are not paying specific attention to who is close to you or who is making your drinks. But you have to. And for the girls who go to parties without any friends with you, its not a smart move. You have no one there you can trust from past knowledge that they wouldn't hurt you. But also I have to admit, I have seen girls willingly go of with guys who they had never met before and the girls were beyond drunk. I even asked a girl once did she really wanna go with the guy back to his apartment and she was so inebriated she could barely make out a sentence. And I tried to find her friends but there was nobody at the entire party who knew the girl. So yes I get it. I understand wanting to get that "buzzed" feeling, and the thrill of making out with a complete stranger, or handing out your phone number. But ladies lets do it with some caution and class. Otherwise you might be waking up and asking yourself "What happened last night?" And you may not want to know the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment